Saturday, April 2, 2011

Blessings flow

While shopping for a bed in Ikea for my new condo today, an employee picked me out the sea of shoppers and asked if I needed assistance. I put on my brightest smile and immediately obliged; although I was waiting for the pick-up line (he was an older, black man afterall), I decided that using my feminine wiles was fair game to get help finding and carting out the several boxes that added up to my Queen sized bed.

After Joseph determined that there was no boyfriend in his way, he zeroed in on my (dread)locks. He was curious about my spirituality and my choice to go dread. I told him that I longed for locks since I was a teenager primarily for cosmetic reasons. But when I made the decision just over a year ago, after much angst, the matted strands of hair bore greater significance. It was a spiritual decision centred around my coming into my own and wanting to be my most authentic self, even if it meant going against the wishes of others (read: my mother). It was a small step against fear, though there are many bigger steps still to be taken.

Joseph and I chatted more as we ambled through the aisles, box by box. We talked about his former journey as a Rastafarian, the Twelve Tribes, fasting and clairvoyance, and why Toronto's boys need to become men. Then he said, “You're from Trinidad.” I blushed, always appreciative of those who can discern my accent with ease. That's when I discovered we shared a birthplace.

I seem to have a knack for finding Trinis anywhere, anytime - like moths to a flame without the whole getting burnt to death part.

My brief bonding experience with Joseph got me thinking about the blessings that constantly course through my life. I firmly believe the woman my mother was has opened doors for me that for others remain close. I know that the prayers my granny utters daily for me without fail reach across the shores.

So today, I'm thankful for my blessings. Not only did I find the perfect bed, but I met Joesph who made sure I got it safely to the cashier. (And he didn't ask for my number - refreshing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment